Saturday, August 31, 2013

Extra Blog- Piano

What I have discovered with learning specific kinds of pieces of piano is that no matter how long it takes you to learn a classical piece from Chopin or Beethoven, someone will always somehow do it better. Why is it that some end up doing it better? Often times, it is because they have had plenty of experience with that specific composer, and so they are familiar with the technique required for that composer's style, or have been playing for so long that no kind of composer can really challenge their expertise or versatility. For me, as a semi novice learner having started a little later in my life, at least being serious about it, I struggle with being able to execute proper hand techniques including trills with two fingers, turns, mordents, and toccatta, which is more demanding of precision with three different fingers that strike a key much faster than possible, as demonstrated with the works of Domenico Scarlatti, among others. I'm not saying that the professional concert pianists can learn faster than I, they've just been doing it longer. As for learning a piece, for most professionals, it can take from seven months to one year to not only memorize a piece, but to also execute it perfectly with timing, pitch, dynamics, as well as with emotion. I suppose I still have a lot more to learn, or at least a lot more practice time to make for learning my pieces that will hopefully get me into Juilliard or NYU.

No comments:

Post a Comment